The University of Tennessee, Knoxville chemical hygiene plan (UTK CHP) is designed to attain and maintain compliance with federal, state, and local regulations required for the use, storage, and disposition of hazardous chemicals. The UTK CHP defines a campus-wide approach for protecting employees and the environment from the health and physical hazards associated with chemicals used in instructional laboratories, research laboratories, shops and maker spaces.
The responsibility for ensuring a safe workplace is shared between faculty, staff and students. Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) professionals serve as a resource to assist faculty, staff and students in meeting this responsibility for laboratories and laboratory equivalents, departments, institutes, and research centers.
Your lab’s Chemical Hygiene Plan will be completed in three steps.
- Download the Campus Plan
- Complete Lab Specific Plan Sections and Forms
- Store the CHP in a accessible location
Step 1 – UTK Campus CHP
Download the Campus Plan provided by EHS. This document contains all parts of the plan that you do not have to fill out.
- Roles and Responsibilities
- General Laboratory Rules and Expectations
- Hazardous Chemical Identification and Controls
- Hazard Communication
- Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) Select Biological Toxins
- Standard Pharmaceuticals and Drugs Used to Elicit a Biological Response
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Scheduled Drugs
- Surplus Chemicals and Hazardous Waste Management
- Employee Information and Training
- Emergency Response
- Exposure Monitoring
- Respiratory Protection
- Medical Consultations and Evaluations
- Laboratory Audit Program
- Incident/Accident Notification Investigation
- Transportation and Shipping of Hazardous Materials
- Definitions and Abbreviations
- Appendix A: Lab Specific Template (see forms list below)
- Appendix B: Exposure Limits
- Appendix C: Chemical Fume Hoods
- Appendix D: Particularly Hazardous Substances
- Appendix E: Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Certifications
- Appendix F: Chemical Spill Response Guidelines
- Appendix G: Emergency Contact Number
Step 2 – Lab Specific Forms by Topic
Complete the following forms as needed for your lab to complete the Lab Specific Requirements. They include Appendix A and other Appendices.
Note: Most sections will be completed once and some, such as the SOP form, may have several versions for separate procedures.
- Sec02-Laboratory Room Locations
- Sec03-Lab-Specific Rules & Requirements
- Sec05-Orientation Checklist
- Sec06.1-Master List of Required Training
- Sec06.2-Documentation of Training
- Sec07-Prior Approvals
- Sec08-SDSs and Inventory of Hazardous Chemicals
- Sec09-Exposure Monitoring Records
- AppE(Tool)-PPE Training Certification Form
- AppF-Chemical Spill Response
Step 3 – Store the Completed CHP
Store the combined CHP in an accessible location. EHS requests that you place a copy in your lab’s Documents section in BioRAFT; A paper copy in a binder may be prudent as well.
The full document of the Campus Plan with Appendices is linked below for reference. It does not contain fillable pdf forms and should only be used for reference.