Everyone is Responsible for Safety at UT
Call 911 (Fire, Medical, HazMat)
or 865-974-3111 for UT Police
Urgent Needs, Reporting Hazards/Conditions or Requesting General Assistance
- Normal business hours (8a-5p): 865-974-5084
- Outside business hours or if unable to contact the main number: Contact EHS One-Call 865-974-9586 or submit your request through “LiveSafe – Report Other Issue – Lab Safety”
In the event that the EHS One-Call number is unanswered please contact:
- 911 for emergencies
- EHS Director and Campus Safety Officer Sandra Prior 757-876-5386 (cell) for non-emergencies.
Our Purpose (Why do we exist): To ensure the safest, most healthful and environmentally responsible learning and work environment of any institution of higher learning.
Vision Statement (Where do we want to be in the future): As the state’s flagship university, we have an unwavering emphasis on safety where all students, faculty, and staff are safety leaders. We accomplish this by empowering and sustaining an employee & student-centric approach to taking risks safely and infusing an organic safety culture permanently into the organization.
Mission Statement (Defines our responsibilities today): The EHS program is designed to create a healthful and safe atmosphere for study, research, service and employment, and to promote good health and safety practices. Our commitment to the health and safety of our employees, contractors, students, and community is uncompromising.
Objectives (How are we working to accomplish our Mission Statement):
- Coordinate a comprehensive and continuing accident prevention and health maintenance effort compatible with the university’s strategic vision.
- Demonstrate that safety is a core value of the institution through leadership articulation about its importance, open and ongoing public dialogue, and recognition of leading by example.
- Engage campus stakeholders in promoting collaborative campus safety policies, plans, and procedures that emphasize safety.
- Ensure transparency about safety roles, responsibilities, and accountability.
- Promote assessment, lessons-learned sharing and continuous improvement, respecting contributions to these processes from all levels of the university.
- Become a safety culture leader among peer institutions.
- Deliver effective, comprehensive education and training that supports the safety culture and safety management system as a learning organization.
Values (How we will achieve our Purpose):
Visible – within the organization
Outreach –implied service
Leadership – incorporate ownership
Solution minded – pro-active
Don’t know where to start? Try the Safety Manual
The Safety Manual, a collection of programs, procedures, plans, and guides, is a good place to find the most detailed information about the most topics. Otherwise visit a section by topic from the main menu.
Vols value safety
The Statement on Environmental Health & Safety Programs is one of the eight general principles of the UT Code of Conduct.