Skip to content

Don’t Get Overloaded

Winter is a time of year where we might consider using portable space heaters or other high current devices. Other times of year we might simply be using power strips to for refrigerators or freezers. These are all high current devices that may exceed the rated limits of a power strip. When this occurs a power strip can start a fire.

In fact we have had a fire recently in an office on campus due to a space heater plugged into a power strip. Because of these risks, EHS asks that you follow some basic guidance.

Power Strip Safety Tips

  • Realize the problem: Overloaded power strips have caused fires at UT.
  • Plug appliances directly into wall outlets.
  • Ensure your power strip is UL listed. Look for the holographic sticker with the listing (rating) information .
  • Check the capacity of your power strip. Are you within it?
  • When in doubt consult EHS.

For more information

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.