As we prepare for holiday meals, Environmental Health and Safety reminds the campus community to always Cook with Care.
Please consider the following tips
- Be alert; if you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, don’t use the oven or stove top.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
- When simmering, baking or roasting, check the food regularly; remain in the kitchen while cooking and use a timer.
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stove top.
- Have a working kitchen fire extinguisher and know how to use it.
For additional information on cooking safety please visit
- The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) guidance on cooking safety.
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission Cooking (including special information on turkey fryers)
- US Fire Administrative Flyer on turkey frying safety
Remember, that safety begins between the ears and please make safety a part of your holiday!